Beyond Oils // Holistic Health & Wellness Interview



Health and wellness is an inside job. "Plants on the inside and plants on the outside" is the metric by which all things are measured in our house. From cleaning products to beauty products, to supplements & food, we're learning that genetically modified or lab-created products generally aren't best for our bodies. And while this is a slow grow journey, not an overnight transformation, I've found some wonderful resources to help us along the way.

While this piece of the web is mostly designated to Young Living oils and products, I wanted to share one of my most treasured resources; one which has educated and inspired me about so many holistic health topics.

I had the pleasure of interviewing my friend and the author of Reclaiming Vitality about a few topics that I'm excited for you to read about. Chelsea Duffy has a background in adult education, and through her own health journey and passion has become a valuable resource. I encourage you to read our interview below and visit her blog to learn more about the healing power of food, natural beauty recipes, and so much more.

Your journey to a natural, holistic lifestyle is really remarkable!  Would you share a bit of your story and why you started living a holistic lifestyle?

Sure! While I have always been interested in natural remedies and making my own skin care products, I didn't really start thinking about how the food I put into my body was making or breaking my health until after the birth of my first child.
I had had a rough pregnancy and an even rougher delivery. Afterwards, I had a lot of anxiety as well as trouble losing the baby weight (even though I had been thin all my life). I started researching different ways of eating. At first it was so confusing! Should I be a vegan? How about low-fat? Low-carb? Gluten-free? I went Paleo for a while and dropped the weight and started feeling a lot better, but it was very a restrictive diet, and I felt there had to be an easier answer.

Can you explain the moment (or moments) that you realized that a traditional foods diet was the only way to live? (Was it gradual, immediate, or a combo of both?)

Throughout all this research, I started to make connections between the past health issues that I had and how I had been treating my body. I realized that eating the Standard American Diet had been the main contributor to my developing Melanoma when I was in my early 30's, being misdiagnosed with Grave's disease in my late 20's (and subsequently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy. Yikes!) and how rough my pregnancy, birth, and postpartum symptoms were.
A pivotal point in my journey was when I came across the cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. This book contains thousands of studies of how traditional cultures ate. It was such an eye opener. I realized the answer was even easier than Paleo (which is very restrictive and meat-centric). I happily began a journey to become a Traditional Foodie. The gist of this food movement is that there is not a single food out there that is “bad”. It is all about how the food is prepared and in what quantities it is served. Also, healthy fats are so important and this book really gives the evidence to support that.

What are the top three staples in your medicine cabinet and why?


  • Garlic because it is anti-viral, antibacterial, and antifungal. I have both powdered capsules of garlic in my cabinet and fermented garlic in my fridge.
  • Elderberry Syrup (which is in my fridge) because it can help prevent colds and flus as well as shorten the duration of both when taken at the onset.
  • Kraut juice (which is also in my fridge) because it will knock out any stomach bug, usually within a few hours.


Your blog offers some delicious and incredible recipes that not only taste great, but heal and protect the body. What would be your biggest piece of advice for someone just learning about ferments?

My biggest piece of advice would be to not freak out and think that you are going to create something dangerous. People have been fermenting for thousands of years and in much less sterile environments. You will absolutely know if something went wrong with your ferment, so lose the fear and have fun!! Also, real lacto-feremented pickles are a more advanced ferment, so don't start with those so you don't get discouraged.

Are your kiddos fully on board with all of the fermented foods and traditional food movement?

My kiddos love ferments. They actually prefer fermented vegetables to cooked vegetables! They start and end their day with a milk kefir smoothie. They love the traditional foods that I cook, but then again they really don't know any other way of eating.

What would you consider the oddest, most “off the wall” plant based solution you’ve tried (and why) and what were your results?

I guess it would have to be the fermented garlic. You don't smell the best after eating a clove of it, but I will take that any day over getting sick!

What are you most excited about in the world holistic health and wellness right now?

I love the new information coming out about specific probiotic strains. They are identifying strains that can help people overcome allergies, anxiety, depression and more. Gut health is so fascinating to me. I believe it truly holds the key to our mental and physical health.

(*Note: Read more about gut health here)

What are three things that folks can do today to reclaim their vitality?


  1. Start eating fermented foods whether you buy them or make them yourself.
  2. Only buy pastured meat, dairy, and eggs.
  3. Eat only organic vegetables. Local and fresh is best. Even better if you grow them yourself!

Thank you, Chelsea! 
You can read more about Chelsea's story here, and visit Reclaiming Vitality for all things nutrition!


Comments

Popular Posts