DIY Deodorant

Crunchy. Granola. Mama


Have you switched to natural deodorant? Do you make your own?
Remember what I said about not being able to UN-KNOW certain things? Well, you cannot put aluminum over your lymphnodes/armpits any more. Here's why. And here. And here, again.

Ok, let me tell you that for YEARS I have been looking for a good alternative to mainstream deodorant and nothing has won me over. My best friend can testify... she sends me links to deodorant recipes and new natural deodorants on the market. 

So, I found fellow Young Living Oily Mama (and RCD, btw) Lindsey Gremont and she has a wonderful DIY recipe on her blog and here is the link. I tried this recipe awhile back and omitted the shea butter and petitgrain essential oil, and the consistency didn't work out. It was fine, but nothing like what it should've been. I followed the recipe exactly this last time and I'm so glad that I did! 

Folks, it's the real deal!! It actually works better than any other natural deodorant that I've tried. The arrowroot powder is so much more gentle than using a ton of baking soda (which leads to rashy armpits). Petitgrain oil is used for it's antiperspirant properties 

Bite the bullet. Make your own. Or at least by aluminum free deodorant. Here is the recipe that I used (from the homemade mommy blog):

3 Tblsp Shea Butter
2 Tbsp Raw, Unrefined Coconut Oil (not fractionated)
1 Tbsp Baking Soda
2 Tbsp Bentonite Clay (this also makes a GREAT clay mask)
10 Drops Purification
10 Drops Petitgrain

(Mix all of the ingredients with a hand mixer or in your standing mixer)

Five Year Old Assistant not required but certainly helpful

Shea Butter is a must in this recipe

It comes out to a dough-like consistency. Don't be scared. It's actually really smooth.

Pack it into a glass jar.
This recipe made enough for two small glass jars, one for me and one for my mom and it will last forever. You only need a pea sized amount and rub it on the ol' pits and you're good to go. It didn't stain my clothes and worked really really well. 
It took about 5 minutes to make and I'm sure it'll last me about 3 to 6 months.
I hope you try it!

Comments

Popular Posts