Ditch & Switch // Wool Dryer Balls


For years I've read about the toxins in dryer sheets. It's well documented that dryer sheets contain all sorts of contaminants like carcinogens, VOC's and air pollutants. (Here is a good article, and this is a good resource for more information). 

Finally, we made the switch to wool dryer balls, and lemme tell you, we'll never go back!
I ordered these ones, and loaded them up with a few of my favorite essential oils.  Here is what happened:
First, drying time was significantly shorter (almost by half!), the clothes had no static and they were super soft. Also, the dryer balls last for about 1000 cycles. I have found that I only need to use three for a large load of laundry, so I figure I can do 2000 loads of laundry with these ones (should last about two weeks... just kidding :))

Here are the oils I put on to the dryer balls to make our laundry smell lovely.

Sheets & Towels
Two drops of Geranium
Two drops of Lavender

Dark Clothes
Two drops Purification

Whites
One drop lavender 
Two drops Lemon

Peppermint, Peace & Calming, or Stress Away would all be wonderful choices too! I'm looking forward to trying different Fall inspired blends or Christmas-y blends in the winter! 

(You can also add a drop or two to your wash load for scent boost).
And the whole house smelled good too, bonus!

So we switched originally because, hello, Toxins! but we're also reducing our waste and reducing our energy consumption. I'm certainly pleased with how well they've held up and worked on our many loads of laundry/comforters/sheets, etc., and I'm also inspired and empowered by it. It makes laundry fun and my kids are in to it too! It's been a great lesson and experiment for all of us.

Our progression to reducing our toxicity exposures is so slow and gradual. It's about making one small change at a time... like dryer sheets for dryer balls. It's as easy as that!

Comments

Popular Posts